Zephyr Green Coffee opened its doors in New Orleans late summer 2006, less than a year after Hurricane Katrina left its indelible mark on the city we call home. An inauspicious beginning in an inauspicious building in a colorful corner of the Garden District, we got to work like the rest of them. Here, Rebirth is a jazz band, not a description of the last six years. You start small but think big, and before you know it you’re pushing to the front of the crowd at a Superbowl parade.
ZGC hasn’t played in the big one yet, but we really like our team. We’ve pulled and poured, roasted and sold, lived abroad and have been told that we speak the language well. Learning the lingo, however, is only a start. The daily beat, everyone playing a part, is what serves our customers best. Quality control, efficient logistics, risk management and contractual accountability – the pillars of green coffee trading – add value and stability to the supply chain.
As ZGC begins its sixth year of operations, debuts a new website, enlists young trading talent and expands upon origination and roaster services, we invite all customers, new and old, to be a part.
ZGC is a fully owned subsidiary of Louis Dreyfus Company, a global leader in the production and merchandising of a diverse range of agricultural products. As the world’s third largest coffee trader, LD’s development in Specialty and Sustainability has behind it decades of trading experience and a growing origin network that includes farm-side operations in all major growing areas (please see our “Beans” page for specifics). Unique to the Specialty trade, we enjoy the following:
- Research-Based Approach. Tracking of supply evolution by origin and its relation to quality and price.
- Full Supply Chain Coverage. First access via farmer financing, customized green coffee preparation, flexibility in shipping/delivery and full product traceability.
- Unsurpassed Financial Footing. Cushion for a rough market, maintenance of inventory and buffer stock, credit facilities at low cost.
- Integrated shipping network. Economy of scale and access to best rates based on company volumes.
ZGC is of course an active participant in all coffee-specific sustainable product labeling programs – Fair Trade, The Rainforest Alliance, Organic (NOP, COR, EU, JAS), UTZ and 4C – acting not only as an importing intermediary but also actively developing the supply base via registration support, prefinance, and technical assistance with the help of our local LD operators. In addition to entry-level sustainability, ZGC and the Louis Dreyfus coffee group are donors to Grounds For Health and sponsors of several small scale projects including school supply distribution in Vietnam and market training in Mexico.
Louis Dreyfus Company is additionally a signatory of the United Nations Global Compact, which defines certain universal principles in the areas of human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption. We currently enjoy membership in the following commodity roundtables and multi-stakeholder forums:
- Roundtable For Responsible Soy (RTRS)
- Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO)
- Better Sugar Cane Initiative (Bonsucro)
- Sustainable Rice Platform (SRP)
- Better Cotton Initiative (BCI)